Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hafo Safo on the fourth





Coronado Street is legendary for its stadium fireworks let off in the middle of the street by a large group of very wide men with lots and lots of tattoos all dressed in very similar clothing and belonging to a certain club. This year was no different, the older kids ran wild with small rockets taking aim at one another while the little ones lit sparklers and ran like mad when the rocketeer yelled "Fire in the hole!" After hosing down my house and garden, I spent the evening mostly running, I mean, supervising the wee ones who I found at one point making a little fire out of sparkler boxes in a driveway and playing Campfire. A tent was set up on the sidewalk with a large banner sporting the letters TST. A few years back I made the mistake of pulling out a video camera. It was amazing how quickly the fireworks stopped.... The biggest diiference between this display and Dodger stadium? On the Coronado you are much closer to the fireworks, and there is the real thrill of danger that can only be experienced when one is in real danger of getting a second degree burn. It also doesn't all end in a grand finally. It goes on and on and on and on and on...
This year I mentioned to one of the senior gentlemen of the club that I would very much like to take some videos and pictures. Unfortunately I only had my Iphone but I did manage to take a few videos and get some kind of cool photos of the neighborhood kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment