Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sunset Boulevard: Street or Race Track?



Let me first say what an honor it is to be a guest blogger on HaFoSaFo.com. By way of introduction, I'm a 14 year citizen of the north border region of HaFoSaFo and a regular blogger over at rootsimple.com.  I'll be joining the team here to provide breaking news from, so to speak, the "heart of the 'foot".

Last Thursday I went on a walk to photograph Coronado Street's Cadillac Pick Up. On the way back I witnessed a horrific accident--a beige SUV tumbling end over end just like the one in the crash test above. Miraculously, no one seems to have been injured seriously. I did not see what caused the accident, but it was, in my opinion, most likely due to speed.

Speed is what Sunset Blvd. is all about, particularly here in HaFoSaFo. Our illustrious Los Angeles Department of Transportation runs Sunset Blvd the way you would operate a Formula One race course. Witness the new K-rail installed at the "Polka-Dot Plaza" in nearby Silver Lake:

Photo by Charles Herman-Wurmfeld

Speeds to high? Should we work on traffic calming to create a pleasant street where our kids can walk safely to school or just slap up a barrier and keep the high speed status quo?

Look out Long Beach, LADOT is preparing for the first HaFoSaFo Grand Prix and a future of yet more spectacular rollovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment